Friday, August 31, 2012

True Meaning of Matthew 6:33


We will be discussing one of the most memorized verses in the Bible. This verse is not only a recognizable memory verse and a song, but it’s a very powerful one. However, despite all of this, I believe its one of the hardest verses in the Bible to follow. This verse has become even harder to follow due to the present condition of our country and our nation’s economy. The verse we will be discussing is Matthew 6:33.


In the Book of Matthew, chapter 6, we read that Jesus is continuing his sermon on the mount to the multitudes and his disciples. We will start reading in verse 31.

Matthew 6:31-32
31: Therefore take no thought, saying, what shall we eat? Or, What shall we drink? Or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32: (For after all these things do the Gentiles see:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
*33: - But seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall added unto you.
In verses 31-32: Christ tells us that we should not worry about our daily essentials.
·      Our Clothing
·      What we will eat and drink
Christ tells us that God is aware that we need these things. I think we can all understand this well, however, verse 33 tells us specifically why we shouldn’t worry about these things.

This scripture tells us that if we put God and the Kingdom first that the things we need in life will be provided to us.

In Romans 8:28 the Bible mentions that all things work together for good to them that love God. The idea of everything working together for good compliments Matthew 6:33.

What does it mean to put God first? Does it mean going to church every Sunday and Wednesday? Does it mean to be morally good? While all of these things are indeed factors in putting God first, we must take a deeper look. Is it easy to put things in front of God? Yes, everyday there is a constant battle between what God wants us to do and what we want.

We may not realize it, but putting God first grows harder. From issues of morality to our everyday lives of our jobs and the people we meet.
Even innocent things such as our job, hobbies, etc., can easily, without caution, take first place.

In Joshua 24:19 we are told that our God is a jealous God. God demands our complete attention; God will not take second place. He will only take first place or no place.

·      It means doing the will of God regardless of what the world thinks, say or do to you. 
·      It means being willing to stand up for the Holy Name of Jesus Christ our Lord, even when everyone else is being silent. We are to be an example to those who we interact with on a daily basis. This is perhaps one of the toughest things to do considering peer pressure is very tough everywhere.
·      Turn to John 15:18-19.
o  18: If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
o  19: If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

· We have a duty to Christ to defend his name in word and in action
I Timothy 4:12 – Be an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
We are to strive to be Christ-like in our actions and obey God’s word. We are to walk as children of light as mentioned in Ephesians 5:8.
Matthew 6:33 – All these things shall be added unto you.
Why does it seem it doesn’t happen; perhaps it does and you may not notice it. There was a time in my life I was angry at God for not having "anything to eat," than I realized, I had bread, tuna and a few other things. I then realized I was complaining to God for not having something I "want" to eat. Don't we do that sometimes, especially those of us that live in Western Society? We can apply this attitude to any situation like a job, cars, houses, etc. Also, could this mean God puts things into our life to cause us to have the things we need?

·      Doesn’t mean all these things will come at your convenience.
·      It will come when God see it is time for us.
·      Do “all these things” mentioned in Matthew 6:33 be things we think we don’t need? The story of Job is an excellent example. Everything that could go wrong went wrong through Satan’s doings. However, this increased his faith in God. This caused him to love God more. Yes he did begin to question God, but he kept his faith in him.
·      Tough situations, temptations and times when our faith is tested. Can these situations be used to what is promised in Matthew 6:33? I think so.
·      Nothing bad ever comes from God, but when we have these rough times in our lives, God blesses us with “these things. James 1:12-13

James 1:12*
o  While we will struggle with temptations in our lives and our various weaknesses, I believe that there’s one temptation that we often fail to look at. The temptation to not trust God when things seem to not be working for us.
o  Situations might be beneficial to us either now or later on down the road.
o  We must remember John 10:10 - Christ said that He comes that we might have life and that we may have it more abundantly. I believe this means that we will be having more abundance in blessings. The blessings a sinner would not receive, the blessings of having the best help in the world to help us with our temptations; the help of God and of our fellow Christians.

I have a story I’d like to share with you, it goes like this:
Me: God, can I ask You a question?
God: Sure
Me: Promise You won't get mad
God: I promise
Me: Why did You let so much stuff happen to me today?
God: What do u mean?
Me: Well, I woke up late
God: Yes
Me: My car took forever to start
God: Okay
Me: at lunch they made my sandwich wrong & I had to wait
God: Huummm
Me: On the way home, my phone went DEAD, just as I picked up a call
God: All right
Me: And on top of it all off, when I got home ~I just want to soak my feet in my new foot massager & relax. BUT it wouldn't work!!! Nothing went right today! Why did You do that?
God: Let me see, the death angel was at your bed this morning & I had to send one
of My Angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that
Me (humbled): OH
God: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that would have hit you if you were on the road.
Me: (ashamed)
God: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick & I didn't want you to catch what they have, I knew you couldn't afford to miss work.
Me (embarrassed):Okay
God: Your phone went dead bcuz the person that was calling was going to give false witness about what you said on that call, I didn't even let you talk to them so you would be covered.
Me (softly): I see God
God: Oh and that foot massager, it had a shortage that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight. I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.
Me: I'm Sorry God
God: Don't be sorry, just learn to Trust Me.... in All things , the Good & the bad.
Me: I will trust You.
God: And don't doubt that My plan for your day is Always Better than your plan.
Me: I won't God. And let me just tell you God, Thank You for Everything today.
God: You're welcome child. It was just another day being your God and I Love looking after My Children...

“And all these things shall be added unto you.” 

These things God will provide for us, but first we must trust God and obey Him. 

There’s one thing that is added to our lives if we seek God first, and that’s the gift of Salvation. This gift isn’t free as Christ gave his life so that we might have a chance to live with Him one day in Heaven.
Isaiah 53:4-5* Surely he hath borne our grieves, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed.

I hope I’ve helped all of you see a different view of one of the most quoted verses in the Bible. While it is the most quoted, it is also the most misunderstood.

We get the idea from this scripture sometimes that once we put the Kingdom of God and Christ first that everything will be ok. That is not what this scripture says, this scripture is a reassurance that God will always look after us if we put him first in everything we do. He doesn’t expect perfection from us, but he expects us to do His will to the best of our ability.
If you are here today and you have not put God first in your life. You can start by becoming a Christian, starting to become Christ-like.

Hearing the word of God: Romans 10:17
Believing that Jesus is the Son of God: Hebrews 11:6
Repent of your sins: Luke 13:3
Confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God: Matthew 10:32
Then being baptized for the remission of our sins. Acts 2:38

Nobody is perfect, we all fall short of God’s Glory, but the greatest thing about being a Christian, we can always come back to him. He wants everyone to be saved through Obedience by His will.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for breaking down the verse.. Needed an understanding and you have provided one THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I'm glad I was able to be of assistance!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Is there anything else I can study with you about?

      Delete
  2. Just what I wanted to hear/read today! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for breaking down that verse into a way we can understand it and I'll make sure to put god first and trust him in everything

      Delete
  3. It really hurts reading in black and white @_@ (haha), but nonetheless, great content - and very well explained, thank you for writing this out!

    - bestofallwalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that all of this good stuff was on my tablet, I am new to this. It helped me to understand the Scriptures a lot better and I love it.Thank you very much. Keep up the good workπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking if God will grant my desires and thinking what is God's plan for me. I started go over the pages of the bible till I started reading Matthew 6:24 and I end up with verse 33. I found your column because I was looking for an explanation. I am not new to this verse but I need to study over and over again that help boost my faith. I realize God already gave my desires thou not all. I understand He has given me what is enough for me. Thank You Holy Spirit for your guidance. This is a perpect answer. God is great. Thank you.t

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for breaking down this verse for me. May God increase your understanding. Have a nice time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Brother for allowing the Holy Spirit to use you, this scripture has been burning in my souls day and night, it is like I want to know exactly what each part of this scripture is saying to me, so for the past week I have researched and researched its meaning, I have asked the Lord for insight and tonight I came across you post found what it was I was looking for. Thank you again,
    Ray Garza

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! You have lifted my spirits and strengthened my faith in our God! AWESOME! May God continue to use you to spread his wonderful word! God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete